Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Police Chief Recruitment

The past few weeks have been frustrating as I attempt to secure a new Police Chief.

I had been trying to woo the Baldwin City Police Chief to Concordia. I hired Mike McKenna four months before I moved to Concordia. I recognized his professional caliber. I want that level of competence as I replace Chief Maley. For several weeks, we negotiated and I finally lost out to Baldwin City as they increased their contract with Mike. He had been in charge of the early BTK investigation. You might remember, law enforcement officials credited the early efforts and the preservation of evidence as one of the keys to capturing BTK. I watched his investigative methods secure a confession to an internal theft situation of one of the local businesses.

There has been a complete turnover in officers in Baldwin City since I moved from Baldwin City to here. It is a direct result of raising the bar – expecting police officers to do police work at the highest level. There is a difference in the quality of officers here compared to the department Mike McKenna assumed in Baldwin City. The fellows here are competent, honest, and professional. Yes, I do know there are folks that criticize our Police force. Our fellows do need fresh leadership and this is a good time to find that leadership.

Now that Mike McKenna is not a candidate, I do have a major problem related to expectations. I have those same high expectations for the individual we eventually hire. The pressure will be on both the candidates and the City Manager to bring out the best candidate.

I am doing a “national” search now. Using the International Association of Chiefs of Police website, I have placed a recruiting ad looking for a new chief. It is one of the tools I used when I found McKenna. One nice thing is that it was free. In comparison, the cost of recruiting within Kansas is not free.

I will be mailing an announcement to every chief in every community this week. Included with the announcement will be a tri-fold brochure I prepared. If anyone wants a copy, send me an email (citymanager@concordiaks.org) and I will forward a PDF version that you can read, print or send to a friend. (A comment won't work since some of you use an email alias.) I even added a reference to this Blog so potential candidates can see what I focus on here.

While I am recruiting, I am still looking for an Interim Chief. I am using the Kansas Police Chiefs Association, the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, the KBI, the Kansas Highway Patrol, and referrals from people I know in the Police world. It seems like I am asking everyone I know if they know someone in the police community that might be interested in an interim position.

Finding an interim chief has been one of the frustrating elements I mentioned in the lead paragraph. I am looking for someone that has had “command” experience from being a Lieutenant, Captain, Deputy Chief or Chief. Usually, those folks do not want to get back into police work. Trying to get them back into law enforcement and the stress it produces is one reason they shy away from returning.

On the bright side, however, I have been able to secure administrative help in managing the Police Department. Former City Clerk/Commissioner Verna Ferguson will be watching the flock for me. Her many years of experience with the city provide her the skill to manage the administrative functions and it gives me peace of mind that someone who knows our system and is watching over things. (It really hasn’t changed that much in the 10 years since she retired.)