Sunday, January 06, 2008

This is a Planning Week

The City of Hillsboro has a big week planned starting Tuesday. The Council will have a work session Tuesday noon and Wednesday afternoon (4:00 PM) to talk about strategic planning. Thursday, the Planning Commission will be holding a Public Hearing on adopting a new Comprehensive Plan, Subdivision Ordinance and Zoning Ordinance. All of these will seriously affect what will be developing in Hillsboro in the next 5-10 years.

Through my teaching with the League of Kansas Municipalities, I developed a short seminar on strategic planning. I will be giving this presentation to the Council and the staff Tuesday and Wednesday. I do Introduction to a full blown strategic planning process and show a version of “strategic planning lite.” What the Council and the staff will participate in on Wednesday night will be the “lite” version.

The session will focus on four questions. I’ll outline those after the work session.

1 comment:

Michael Ryan said...

Larry -

I know you Boomtown USA as a link on your blog, so I assume you stay up to date with his information. I thought his "Top Ten Trends in 2008" might be very useful in your strategic planning process.

In particular, I thought the trends #5 Water, Water, Water, #9 Premiumization and #10 Birds beating Birdies were extremely interesting and germane to Hillsboro issues.

Michael Ryan